Monday, August 17, 2009

My success story in RTO Chennai without single penny bribe!

This is post which I wanted to write for long time, but I did not do because of my laziness!
I had a two wheeler which was bought in Pune when I was working in pune. So it's was registered for maharatra (MH) state. I did not realize the registration change how difficult it is. After served couple of year in pune, I had come to Chennai. I got the NOC (No Object Certificate) the moment I left pune. NOC is mandatory for re-registration whenever we go a state to state.
I enquired with couple of travels agency to change about re-registration of my vehicle. All are asked 4k – 5 k bucks. I then though why don't I myself go to RTO and apply for re-registration as I had NOC in my hand. I searched on internet and gathered RTO tamilnadu procedure for re-registration and ended up with a site
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/eng%20cc/rc9.html which had given require documents and fees structure. I just amazed the re-registration fees was just Rs 60 for two wheeler. But the road tax was around R.s 1800 and other charges and late payment fees. I went to RTO office in Chennai and cached a person who works in RTO. I asked what I need to do to get re-registration certificate. He said that I would need to get Police clearance certificate first, then you come to RTO with all necessary document.
I then had gone to Commissioner Office, Egmore Chennai. I did not know anybody over there and it was first time that I was entering into a police environment. Finally, I reached a section in which I could get the police clearance certificate. I had given the necessary document to them and they asked me to come next day and collected the police certificate next day with out any trouble!
Having police certification and all required documents in hand, I had gone to RTO office. Initially, I did not know where I have to start and whom I have to contact. All people were in RTO wondering here and there. No body was giving proper response. Finally, men told me that go and meet RTO and he would guide me. I then met RTO officer and I kept the document with out any order and my goodness, he himself arranged all documents and kept them perfectly. He signed in a form of that file, and asked me to go and meet B1 section. I had gone there and met a lady and she said that I need to go and meet vehicle inspector for the first inspection.
I then met vehicle inspector and he said that I would have to bring the bike the ground where they used to inspect all the vehicles. I thought they might expect some bribe in the ground. Same time I was thinking not to bribe for any extend. I had gone to ground and shown my vehicle, they asked me to take the pencil shadow of chassis and engine numbers in a form and I did the same thing and inspector had signed a form and he asked me to come to RTO office again. I then went to RTO office again and managed to meet him and he signed again in another form and asked me to pay the Road tax. Initially, they refused to pay road tax and they given the time frame that I could pay road tax only with in the time frame. I got irritated and asked why. They said that’s the way it is. Then I did not give up and finally I managed to pay my road tax. I then gone to B1 section and next day they had given copy of the letter which suppose to be sent to pune RTO office stating to enquire about this vehicle. That B1 section people told me that it takes lot of time to get the back the reply from Pune , RTO office and they said it may take 6 months time to see their reply. I said that that's okay and taken the copy of the letter which can be used for 1 year while bike riding.
A year later, I had gone to same RTO office and asked whether they received any reply from Pune, RTO. They said yes and asked me to inspect the bike for second inspection which is part of the procedure. I then gone for the ground and waited for some time and inspection done and got the vehicle inspector's sign. I then paid re registration fees Rs 60 and approached B1 section people. They said that it takes two day to get new number. I was happy that I could get my new number in two days.
I then gone RTO and got the new number without single penny bribe! :)-
My overall experience:
(1) Its possible to handle the government officers with out bribe
(2) It was little difficult in RTO office that whom to contact for what. To know this, it took two days for me :)-
(3) Since my office timing start only in noon, I could go RTO office morning and came back office the noon time. I wonder it may not easy , if we go office regular timing like 9 – 6
(4) I would have gone to RTO 10 times at least for entire process
(5) Actually, procedure was very simple, but the way RTO employees handling the procedure will make the things difficult.
(6) Don’t give bribe as long as you have correct documents though government employees delay the process in a way.
(7) You have to be ready to stand in RTO hours and hours!
(8) Have all necessary documents in your hand then go to RTO. It would avoid time consuming.


My unanswered question:


Why separate registration for state to state since all of them under India? I understand RTO controlled by state government. But why can't central government taken control of all RTO and avoid all these things. I
I paid life time road tax in pune and again paid in Chennai. Then what's was use for the bucks I paid in Pune RTO?
Perhaps, since this is the good earning for state government, how they would stop this!

48 comments:

  1. What about entry tax and emission control certificate.? was there any other tax involved.?

    Pls guide

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vaihav,

    Yes Entry tax slip you need to get and I remember that I did send my bike through a parcel service , from them I have got entry tax certificate. If you are sending bike youserlf by train, you need to make sure where you need to get entry tax. I don't think any other tax invloved other than road tax and etry tax. You may get Emission control certificate easily . You need get to Emission control certificate in a state where you are currently residing.

    Regards,
    Thambi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thambidurai,
    I need to do it for my car too and I have couple of questions:
    1. Did you require to provide invoice letter? I bought the vehicle from somebody and don't have the invoice letter with me. So, wondering what can be done.
    2. I just drove my car from Bangalore to Tamilnadu. So, any clue about entry tax in this case?

    TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kamban,

      I am planning to buy my friend car from banglore & bring it to Chennai.

      Let me know did you manage to get it re-reg , what is the step & process..

      Delete
  4. i have not paid entry tax when i brought my two wheeler from hyderabad in 1998. when i went to re-register my vehicle in 2011 they sent me to commercial taxes office, where they said i will have to pay 11 per cent of the vehicle cost plus some interest, which worked out to rs.22,000! the bike cost only rs.40,000 in 1997. so what do i do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if every body does not go through agents and dont give bribe also, then how will the RTO's earn big money? I heard the officer in Chennai Sholinganallur easily earns 1 lakh per day as un-official money.
    To get transferred to this branch he also paid 28 lakh as bribe (since this branch is known for making good money)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I got NOC for my bike (CBZ -2010 model) Andhra Pradesh registration for driving in Tamil Nadu. Its almost above an year i didn't bother to apply for re-registration. Now when i go for re-registration of my bike i have got the following doubts -

    1) Since i was aked to surrender my RC book(card) at A.P RTO when applying for NOC do i need to apply for a new RC book(Card)here ?

    2) Will i have to pay any late payment fees for taking so long time to re-register my bike after obtaining the NOC more than year ago ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was useful..Long time back I got my driving license made without giving any bribes in Delhi RTO and faced the same trials and tribulation that you did. It takes a lot of time..none of the officers are interested in providing the right information to the point of misleading...you have to make multiple trips..but if you have right docs, time and you are patient than sooner or later you will get the work done..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Thambi,

    can u list the documents need to submit at commissioner office egmore for clearance certificate ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janardhan,
      1 copy of NOC
      2 local address proof.
      3 Rc copy
      4 insurance & Pollution certificate.
      and 20 Rs fees plz carry change

      Delete
    2. I am not having local address proof. can i submit notary affidavit.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    Great information. As a person starting out, I find this information very useful, glad I stumbled upon your site. Great stuff, would love it if you created a whole course on this subject.



    Police Clearence Certificates in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    This is Suraj.
    I am planning to bring my two wheeler Pulsar 150cc from Hyderabad to Chennai. I am not planning to stay for more than a year in Chennai. Do I have to take NOC, if Not Necessary to take NOC what are the other certificates that I need to drive my bike in Chennai.. Kindly guide..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its very nice to read your blog which is related to my searches.Thanks for posting this sap recruiting details here. I also got more details from this topic , have a view on this also please...!
    Used Cars Sale in Chennai Mrjalebi is one of the most popular free classifieds site in India, you can also directly contact the sellers and sell your old goods as per the cost you like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like car driving in highway. My work is of boom lift hire in chennai area. Can you kindly any boom lift related any process please intimate to me Thanks bye..

    ReplyDelete
  15. we have a good news guys... NaMo Government is planing to scrapped RTO soon..
    I too moved from Chennai to Pune and I have paid tax and waiting for new number without paying single rupees bribe..
    Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience on internet it's helped me a log and gave moral support while going for rergistration...
    But over all I'll say RTO is one of the useless department of Govt of India.. which should scrapped ASAP. and their should be a central agency to take care of all this work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    Great article! Thanks for the information, I think others will find this useful.
    Police Clearance Certificate Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    I am getting my 2 wheeler from pune to chennai, is there any way to calculate road tax ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mahesh,
      depreciation value is per year .50% (approx)
      and calculate your tax on the amount of actual cost of your bike+ vat.
      Dont include on road price(check your invoice).
      Ex: you have 2012 registered bike (4 yrs)
      Bike cost = 50000
      vat 10 % = 5000
      total = 55000. you have to pay tax 8% on this amount(where actual tax is 10% in chennai)
      Hope you got it.
      Thanks

      Delete
  18. Hi,
    i am in telengana now. I would like to know how you bought a bike in pune, as u wer from chennai? What were the documents reqd?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello All,
    Thanks Thambidurai , I was inspired by your post to not to give a single rupee to any person in RTO.
    Even I didn't know Tamil still I manged. RTO staff in Chennai(alandur) are very help full.
    The Re-registration Tax calculation is like,
    it decrese .50% per year(depreciation value).
    based on that u have to pay tax actual cost of your bike includes vat(check your invoice). No need to pay tax on On road price value.
    missing docs on above blog are.
    20 Rs notary form.
    postal covers no#2 each of 30 rs(1 is to send RC to home state, another is to send RC to applicant).
    Final word.
    If you show the patience to work with Government offices in India ppl are ready to help you with out bribe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hiiiii friends , can anyone help me ...... ??
    i got NOC from Hyderabad for my two wheeler vehicle. with in a week iam going to Chennai work Location. so exactly what are the Documents that are required to submit there and get the new number for my bike.

    If i stay for a 4-5 months in chennai ...?? do i need to take new registration number or can i roam with my old number plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Satish,
      Even I got my NOC from hyderabad on Oct'15 and i didnt pay road tax till now, also not applied for re-registration because I'm not sure how long I would be here in chennai..soon planning to go back..In this case what is the procedure. Do we need to pay road tax in chennai??..Pls let me know if you have any info on this.

      Delete
  21. Hi all, i need to re register my vehicle in chennai(i brought My yamaha Ray from Kerala). I went to RTO office and they ask me to pay tax at transport commissioner office as the vehicle is register before 18 month. My bike is just 12 month old. What is this tax and where to pay the same... Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  22. My case is bit different. I got NOC for my bike from Delhi to Chennai in August 2014. But since I did not bring my bike from Delhi for some reasons (as I had to settle in Kerala), I could not get it registered in Chennai. The bike is still in Delhi with my friend and I am in Kerala, and I understand the NOC is valid only for 6 months. The tax (OTT) has been paid till 14/6/2016 only. I do not know what to do now and whom to approach. Can anybody help me with this case. I know it is bit complicated, but still....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much! That did the trick, you saved me more endless hours of searching for a fix.


    Packers and Movers Sholinganallur

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sir I am bringing my bike from kerala to chennai for just 10 months ..what are the procedure I should follow ? I will take my bike back after 10 months..Should I get a NOC from kerala 7 re-register here in chennai for 10 months ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. really useful blog . i also facing same issues and same situation happening in my case also

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,
    Hypothecation removal
    (Tiruvanmiyur RTO, chennai)
    Carry the Below Documents and follow the procedure mentioned below,

    1.NOC from bank, original
    2.Form 35 from bank.(2no's), original
    3.Pollution certificate( Get it done in Indian oil petrol bunk near to RTO, cost.Rs.100).copy
    4.Insurance copy( scratch the Chasis number with pencil on the insurance copy from your vehicle)
    5.RC BOOK original( get a ID card cover from near by shop and keep RC book in that)
    6.ID proof and Address proof copy
    Step.1
    Go to bill counter No.1
    Pay Rs.350, he will give two copy of bill.
    Step 2.
    Place all the documents one by one and stable it properly.
    Paste one copy of bill on the top and stable the RC book next to it.
    Step 3
    Go to counter 3
    Give all the documents, he will check and return the customer bill copy
    Step 4
    Collect the new RC book after 3 working days.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks a lot :) That was really great information.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had been to RTO's office for renewal of my driving licence and contacted Mr. Vaithialingam who helped with a smile to have a hassle free renewal without any extra reward. Hats off to his services.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I had been to RTO's office Chennai Central for renewal of my driving license and contacted Mr. Vaithialingam, Superintendent there who helped me with a smile to have hassle free renewal of my license in no time without any extra reward. Hats off to his services.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Why Your not post about modular kitchen about ur blog. Check latest update

    ReplyDelete
  32. The site is really beneficial for everyone to know about this topic. I think if you read blog than you will get some more information from blog. This is really useful blog.Used car Inspection form

    ReplyDelete
  33. for your un answered quest actually you need to go to pune to collect /refund road tax. you need to apply for that..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing this post . for more info visit our webpage.
    Car Engine Oil Replacement Service



    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  35. I gained new knowledge from well written content of this blog. It is showing some different kind of strategy to keep work better and improve with every new assignment. Gracefully written blog
    เบอร์ มงคล

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello, I also would like to comment over all the points mentioned in this blog. I agree with essence of few point but somewhere I found myself on other place. I hope, there might little opinion of others as well.
    เบอร์ ดี

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi All,

    I got NOC from Hyderabad and i want to re register my scooty in chennai. I have every document except address proof. I had a rental agreement,HR letter but the RTO people are asking for Aadhar, Passport, LIC policy, Voter ID card. But in the online portal I see the option affidavit/Notary as address proof. Please suggest me what can i do further.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing this useful information.regards,
    The Best Pest Control Services in delhi

    ReplyDelete